There is a Nation which has no sense of urgency for anything and their slogan is more time. The name of that Nation is Procrastination. And so, we should be citizens of that Nation at any cost. Whenever, we’re given a free invitation to this Nation, let’s bear in mind this quote from Napoleon Hill, “Putting off until the day after tomorrow what should have been done the day before yesterday”
He who watches the wind [waiting for all conditions to be perfect] will not sow [seed], and he who looks at the clouds will not reap [a harvest]. Ecclesiastes 11:4 AMP
Mostly, we find ourselves procrastinating because we await the perfect time. Nonetheless, we must understand that the perfect time is now. Other times, we give several excuses such as we are young, shy, don’t have the needed resources, want to sleep a little (leisure), what if I fail etc. We shouldn’t entertain such excuses because the Bible admonishes us to keep on gathering (invest our time into useful ventures).
He who gathers crops in summer is a prudent son, but he who sleeps during harvest is a disgraceful son. Proverbs 10:5, KJV.
As Children of God, we should not waste time but use it judiciously. Thus, making hay while the sun shines because we are young and energetic.
Dealing with Procrastination
Note that a lot of destinies have been altered, opportunities have been missed because we took a visa to the More Time Nation. Below are some steps on how best to overcome procrastination.
- See Procrastination as a Spirit and treat it as such: Admit your weakness (of Procrastination), seek God’s assistance and deliverance. Also, ask God for self-discipline. Afterwards, train yourself to do the things that you need to.
- Deny yourself the pleasure of sleeping while things need to be done: Thus, learn to avoid distractors and weigh things before prioritizing them.
- Have Role Models: Have a myriad of role models depending on what you want to you want to achieve. For instance, have models on your academic, spiritual, financial and other aspect of your life. These models will challenge you to always stretch for the best.
- Surround yourself with more of the people you want to be like and less of the people who want to be like you: Complacency set in when we surround yourself with those who look up to us. On the other hand, when we are people who are better, they sharpen us because of their sense of urgency. Bear in mind: Iron sharpens iron.
- Plan your day the night before sleep: Proverbs 16:3, Commit your actions to the Lord, and your plans will succeed. When you plan your day, it gives an upper hand over the day. As a means of self- motivating, you can give yourself a treat after achieving your written plans for the day. Planning also helps you ward off destruction.
What is the greatest thief that this world has ever produced and that thief is still as large? Off course, that thief is Procrastination and it steals our Time. That’s why we need to prudently overcome procrastination by being a citizen of its Nation.